What interest me most is Oncology, the study of cancer cells and Pathology, the study of diseases, especially HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) that causes AIDS.


Cancer Cells



Human Immunodeficiency Virus
Well, honestly, besides my huge interest in it, it is also because the money prospect behind it. Just imagine in the wildest dream, you found the cure for either of this, you can hire Bill Gates to lick your shoes...LOL
Don't say that I'm money minded. Who don't love money? The reason people work is to earn money. We study for money. So it is not too bad after all if i manage to help millions of people and at the same time make BILLIONS for myself right??? *day dreaming*
But, today while I was in my lab, it just suddenly occurs to my mind, is that what I want in life? Sitting whole day in the lab? facing these dynamic changing cells and lifeless viruses? I'm not sure. Come to think of it, I was so interested in science because I was brought up to be interested in it.
In our Malaysian culture, this is what the elders always says: "If you don't have a science degree nowadays, you can't find a decent job. Without a decent job, you can't make big money. No big money, no comfortable life.''
So, I was thinking about teaching then, as I really like helping others and my relatives responses are: "Har? Ah boy you wanna become teacher ah??? No good no good, guy as teacher can only make RM 2000+ per month only, how are you going to support your future family with a salary of that?''
"Oh my god, yum gong loh (meaning pity you),what a waste. You should go study medicine. Teacher ah? 饿死老婆瘟臭屋 (meaning your wife would starve to death in the house)..." bla...bla...bla....ok ok I'm not going to be teacher, or my parents never going to hear the end of it from my aunties and uncles...pity them.
So, I ended up studying I THINK I liked and what most people consider a not-too-bad major: Biomedicine. Because they hear the word MEDICINE. Typical Malaysians. But I have a hard time explaining that biomedicine is actually not medicine but they just say: "Good lor good lor, doctor lor...not bad"...aiya, whatever lah...anyway I planned to do postgraduate and end up a PhD with a Doctor title one day. So, get used to it first lo...LOL So here I am, on the way to become a scientist and a future teacher in the form of lecturer. I still like teaching as a teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.
Today's lab session is just so bored that I keep on wondering what would I be if I was born in places like America where children have their freedom in choosing what they wanna study.
I think I would become a photographer. A photographer that travels around the world, see the world in my own way, snapping unique pictures that people will appreciate.
I noticed that people nowadays really take life too seriously and they should just stop down once in a while and smell the roses along the way.

Aurora, natural light display in the sky, also known as "Dance of the Spirit" is just so beautiful. But I just wonder how many people out there will appreciate it?
Sunset like this just makes you feel that life is so wonderful.
Marine life. Simply beautiful.
I personally think photography is so interesting at a way that it could just capture a moment that warm you heart instantly.
The loving moments where you could just feel the love by just looking at the pictures.
All this just could not be expressed by science. That's science limits.
Well, at the end of the day, I'm not brave enough to take the road not taken...sigh...
I just hoped that I don't end up like most people, walking around with a meaningless life where they seem half asleep, even when they are busy doing things they think is important and forgotten their dreams.
The way we get into our life is to devote ourselves to love others, devote ourselves to our community around us, and devote ourselves to create something that give us purposes and meaning.
Just hoped that I'm going at the right direction.


Cancer Cells


Human Immunodeficiency VirusWell, honestly, besides my huge interest in it, it is also because the money prospect behind it. Just imagine in the wildest dream, you found the cure for either of this, you can hire Bill Gates to lick your shoes...LOL
Don't say that I'm money minded. Who don't love money? The reason people work is to earn money. We study for money. So it is not too bad after all if i manage to help millions of people and at the same time make BILLIONS for myself right??? *day dreaming*
But, today while I was in my lab, it just suddenly occurs to my mind, is that what I want in life? Sitting whole day in the lab? facing these dynamic changing cells and lifeless viruses? I'm not sure. Come to think of it, I was so interested in science because I was brought up to be interested in it.
In our Malaysian culture, this is what the elders always says: "If you don't have a science degree nowadays, you can't find a decent job. Without a decent job, you can't make big money. No big money, no comfortable life.''
So, I was thinking about teaching then, as I really like helping others and my relatives responses are: "Har? Ah boy you wanna become teacher ah??? No good no good, guy as teacher can only make RM 2000+ per month only, how are you going to support your future family with a salary of that?''
"Oh my god, yum gong loh (meaning pity you),what a waste. You should go study medicine. Teacher ah? 饿死老婆瘟臭屋 (meaning your wife would starve to death in the house)..." bla...bla...bla....ok ok I'm not going to be teacher, or my parents never going to hear the end of it from my aunties and uncles...pity them.
So, I ended up studying I THINK I liked and what most people consider a not-too-bad major: Biomedicine. Because they hear the word MEDICINE. Typical Malaysians. But I have a hard time explaining that biomedicine is actually not medicine but they just say: "Good lor good lor, doctor lor...not bad"...aiya, whatever lah...anyway I planned to do postgraduate and end up a PhD with a Doctor title one day. So, get used to it first lo...LOL So here I am, on the way to become a scientist and a future teacher in the form of lecturer. I still like teaching as a teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.
Today's lab session is just so bored that I keep on wondering what would I be if I was born in places like America where children have their freedom in choosing what they wanna study.
I think I would become a photographer. A photographer that travels around the world, see the world in my own way, snapping unique pictures that people will appreciate.
I noticed that people nowadays really take life too seriously and they should just stop down once in a while and smell the roses along the way.

Aurora, natural light display in the sky, also known as "Dance of the Spirit" is just so beautiful. But I just wonder how many people out there will appreciate it?
Sunset like this just makes you feel that life is so wonderful.
Marine life. Simply beautiful.I personally think photography is so interesting at a way that it could just capture a moment that warm you heart instantly.
The loving moments where you could just feel the love by just looking at the pictures.
All this just could not be expressed by science. That's science limits.
Well, at the end of the day, I'm not brave enough to take the road not taken...sigh...I just hoped that I don't end up like most people, walking around with a meaningless life where they seem half asleep, even when they are busy doing things they think is important and forgotten their dreams.
The way we get into our life is to devote ourselves to love others, devote ourselves to our community around us, and devote ourselves to create something that give us purposes and meaning.
Just hoped that I'm going at the right direction.


wow Steve...one thing I'm sure of that you have is passion. you may not be sure where to direct it yet to get to a medium between happiness, self-enjoyment and being somewhat rich with a decent social standing. But I can tell when you find that one thing that sparks your life you will become very successful. I like many of the same interests you do, but I have that problem of not finding anything that interests me greatly. I also told my mom I want to be a teacher or a humanitarian because I don't want to sit in an office all day, and she also said that i'll be so poor and I need to support a family (though I don't think i'll have to...) I need to study harder for my own good too, so the best of luck to us two. I really hope you will find your true passions in your pursuit :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Kris, for your comment. Sorry for the late reply as I was busy the past few days.
ReplyDeleteI'm overwhelmed and blushed with your compliment.
Lol, very successful? Hope so.
Hey no worries, you will find what interests you eventually. You still can be a teacher, like what I plan to do, you can be a lecturer! You wont be poor and at the same time that's what you want right? Believe me, being a teacher is actually a very rewarding carrier, not in terms of money, but how we could influence someone's life.
All the best to both of us!
Take care^^
haha Steve! I haven't reconsidered being a teacher in awhile actually, it was just kind of a childhood dream of "what do you want to be when you grow up?" But now you mention it again, I realize I never stopped wanting to be a teacher, I LOVE kids and I tend to handle them well, except kids might think I'm a push-over teacher...that's the only danger! haha And I can tell teaching would definitely be satisfying for me, so I shall keep your great advice in the back of my head to always consider when I juggle my career options again hehe =]
ReplyDelete